Sunday, September 16, 2007

Scener ur ett äktenskap - Scenes From a Marriage (1973)

Monson & Yeomans Rating: 8.75/10

IMDB User Rating: 8.4/10

Rotten Tomatoes Critics' Rating: 94%

Director: Ingmar Bergman

Plot Summary: Follows the relationship of Marianne and Johan as they separate, engage in extramarital affairs, bond, re-bond and eventually divorce. Their relationship continues after the divorce, it seems this is a couple that can't stay away from each other, though they argue most of the time.

Matthew's Review: I think I wish I saw this film prior to watching Saraband a couple weeks ago. In any case, it exponentially increases my appreciation of Saraband (which picks up the same peoples’ lives 30 years later). Because I have left it too long after viewing to review this film, I feel I won’t do it justice. I suppose I love to see how the characters grow through out the story, and then even contrast that wit how they have changed by the time of Saraband. I think what sticks with me the most from this film is some of the opening scenes that seem to me to be the most impressively long shots I have ever seen. I don’t mean this in the way that they are slow, picturesque and beautiful. Rather, the characters are constantly interacting and talking without stopping for what seems like forever. Even with incredulously long shots, the actors never show a hint of weakness or breaking from character. Not that I expected them to, they are all solid actors. This is a solid film by Bergman, who seems consistent at creating those. The complexities of marriage relationships were explored with this film to some degree (I can’t know how complete it is because I am a foolish youth) but I found it thought-provoking none-the-less.
I give it 4.25 out of 5.

Ryan's Review:This film allows us to eavesdrop on the intimate truths that exist between a couple. It is a movie founded in dialog rather than action sequences or events. Scenes From a Marriage is actually the unofficial prequel to Bergman's final film, Saraband (2003). It showcases the same actors playing the same roles thirty years prior to Saraband. The impressiveness of this movie is more fully appreciated when watched alongside Saraband. This is a quiet film that shines with its subtleties. I loved seeing shots in 'Scenes From a Marriage' recreated in 'Saraband' in inconspicuous ways. It was also interesting to see what conversations took place in the closed doors of a bedroom. I often find myself wondering what two people in love can possibly talk about for so long, day after day. This movie gave me a glimpse of Bergman's thoughts on this. On its own, I would give this movie 4/5. Alongside Saraband, I would bump it up to 4.5/5.

Monson & Yeomans Rating: 8.75/10

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys are watching some pretty meaty films, great to see. I am a huge fan of scenes from a marriage. I don't think anyone can write dialogue like bergman, his films hit right on the mark so consistently. I am curious if you watched the theatrical version of this film, or the tv version. The tv version is fantastic, i think it is broken into 6 hour long episodes. I'm glad that i can actually post comments on this blog now.

bcmatt said...

Hey Dave,
We are glad you can comment now too. We watched the theatrical version of the film. I would agree that the dialogue is so very impressive, but I guess that is kind of what I said in my review about those opening scenes. I was commending the actors too, for pulling it off.

lyallstyle said...

i assumed that much of the dialogue was improvised simply because i thought it was impossible for one person to write such great material. i loved these two films. if given the chance i will buy them and forever think on them occasionally.