Saturday, September 15, 2007

Modern Times (1936)

Monson & Yeomans rating: 8.75/10


IMDB User Rating: 8.4/10

Rotten Tomatoes Critics Rating: 100%

Director: Charles Chaplin

IMDB
Plot Summary: Chaplins last 'silent' film, filled with sound effects, was made when everyone else was making talkies. Charlie turns against modern society, the machine age, (The use of sound in films ?) and progress. Firstly we see him frantically trying to keep up with a production line, tightening bolts. He is selected for an experiment with an automatic feeding machine, but various mishaps leads his boss to believe he has gone mad, and Charlie is sent to a mental hospital... When he gets out, he is mistaken for a communist while waving a red flag, sent to jail, foils a jailbreak, and is let out again. We follow Charlie through many more escapades before the film is out.

Matt's Review: I think I used to be prejudice against films from the early and pre-talky era of film. This film proves to me that they contain some quality entertainment that can easily compete with the very best of Jim Carey’s physical comedies. I know I am speaking blasphemy for some, but I really appreciate Jim Carey. Well, Charlie Chaplin has all of the charisma, with much greater ambition. I appreciate how he decided to tackle real social issues within his films, while entertaining to the max. He’s an amazing stunt-man, comedian, actor, writer, and director, whatever. Anyways, Modern Times was an absolute delight to watch. Not only that, it by no means is lost on a present-day audience. I laughed out loud, at all of the funny escapades, while appreciating a romantic little story that didn’t leave me feeling taken advantage of at the end either. I haven’t seen a whole lot of Chaplin, but I imagine this being up there as one of my favorites; obviously not as important as The Great Dictator but still very valuable and enjoyable. I give it 4.25 out of 5.

Ryan's Review: Modern Times is a charming, satirical look at two individuals trying to make a life for themselves during the Great Depression. This is Charlie Chaplin's last 'silent' film, and possibly the last of the silent film era for Hollywood. I love watching classics such as this because so many of today's pop culture nods at or reenacts scenes and themes from these movies. It's like meeting someone for the first time after hearing so much about them from everyone. This film was profound in that it was both funny and serious, sometimes at the same time. It reminded me of Life is Beautiful, starring a similarly cheery and energetic Roberto Benigni. This film's optimistic outlook on a dreary life is enough to win my approval for it. I give it a 4.5/5.

Monson & Yeomans rating: 8.75/10

No comments: