Saturday, September 22, 2007

Ordet - The Word (1955)

Monson & Yeomans Rating: 9.25/10

IMDB User Rating: 8.1/10

Rotten Tomatoes Critics' Rating: 100%

Director: Carl Theodor Dreyer

AllMovie Plot Summary: With his masterful Ordet (aka The Word, [1955]), legendary Danish filmmaker Carl Theodor Dreyer examines the conflict between internalized personal faith and organized religion. Dreyer sets the drama in a conservative, super-pious Danish town, where widower Morten Borgen (Henrik Malberg) -- the father of three boys -- cuts against the grain of the community with his constant heretical doubt. One of his sons, Mikkel Borgen (Emil Hass Christensen), is entangled in an interfaith romance with a fundamentalist's daughter, while the second, Anders Borgen (Cay Kristiansen), is an agnostic, and the third, Johannes Borgen (Preben Leerdorff-Rye) -- a devotee of Søren Kirkegaard -- believes that he actually is Jesus Christ -- a conviction ridiculed by almost everyone as pure insanity. (Summary by Hal Erickson)

Matthew's Review: I was completely fascinated by the material that this film presented. I love being transported to another world, culture, or time. This film does not disappoint, especially in regard to spiritual and religious subjects. I often feel inadequate when watching films from other cultures or times, however, because if a film-maker is deviating from the norm of his culture by what he presents, I may miss it entirely and just assume that the originality is due to the culture itself. I still appreciate that I get to view a new world-view, I just don't know whether to credit the originality. Is it thanks more to the film-maker or his culture. I would say that the credit should always be balanced towards the director for at least presenting the world-view, even if he is not the origin; because really, who originates a world-view on his own anyways?
I loved the presentation of factions of Christians that disagree with each other and how Dreyer seems to portray something greater that overcomes the disunity. I found this flick to be powerful (which is rare). I realize that I am oversimplifying themes within this film and therefore, doing it absolutely no justice. This is truly a great film, done over 50 years ago with what appears to be 1 camera. It is truly impressive. I admit that it will not entertain most people, but I believe it can be very interesting and appreciated by many. I do value entertainment when it comes to film but I admit it is not my top priority. But Ordet did entertain me, while doing other, greater things even more.
I give it a 4.75/5.

Ryan's Review: This religiously packed film explores differing views on Christianity and its role in our lives. It is a journey seeking faith, rather than a journey of faith. The themes of the film are complimented by symbolism which really round out the unspoken points that are being put across. I noticed a faint play of irony throughout the film, especially surrounding the 'mad' character who thought he was Jesus. Although I couldn't really sense much emotion in the characters throughout most of this film, there was certainly a sense of hope and expectation by the end of the movie. I felt that the final scene of this film was quite beautifully done through its scene set-up, cinematography, and timing. I think I was surprised by the depth of storytelling this film had, and despite not sensing certain emotions in the movie the way I thought they should've been portrayed, this was a very well done movie. I give it a 4.5/5.

Monson & Yeomans Rating: 9.25/10

No comments: